Switch model on radio?

• I got the CTI module today, im still confused how to connect it to the reciver, i cant understand the manual either.

I got an excavator and dumper i want to switch between, i was thinking to use the excavator as no.1 and dumper as no.2.

How do i connect the module to the reciver the correct way?

• Kalle,

Have you managed to get it working yet?

I have two of these at home, but never installed them, however I was told how to... I don't want to write a long reply if you already fixed it!

On unit number 1... it should have 9 servo cables

1 - 8 are for your servos. 9 is the control channel..

Let me know if you still need help

Elliot

• No i havent, is the 9th the one where the LED marking is, only 2 poles? Does that one go into an free chanel and i assign it to that chanel thru the radio?

And after that if so?

• Yes that is correct...

Lets assume you are working on your Dumper and its CTI module 1...

Choose the dumper model memory in your radio

So install channel 9 into a free channel on you receiver (RX). Assign
    that channel to a 3 way switch on you transmitter (TX)if you have one.

Next...

remove the servo cable for channel 1 of the RX and install the first channel of the CTI module into your RX channel 1, install your servo onto the pins of channel 1 of the CTI module

it will look like this

RX channel 1 ---------> CTI channel 1 ---------> Servo

Assuming the above is correct and installed. In order to control that channel on your model, you would need to tap you 9th channel 1 time, the LED will light and you have control of the CTI module

Now all you do is move the each channel so it is via the CTI module.

Once you've done this and it works, let me know... I will tell you how to change between models

good luck

• Ok, that cleared it up for me, im just waiting on the 3pos switch to get here, then i let you know how its going!

Witch one is actually chanel one on the CTI module? The one under the 9th or the one on the opposite side?

Thanks! :thumbup:

• Good, you are :welcom:

Technically you shouldn't need a three position switch as you are only using modules 1-4

A 2 position switch should also work. Set the end points from 0 to + 100 ( 0 in the down position and +100 in the up ) and see if it operates the CTI unit, if not, change the end points from 0 to - 100 ( again 0 in the down position and minus 100 in the up ) and it should work by toggling this switch.

Hope that makes sense and good luck

• Good you are :welcom:

Technically you shouldn't need a three position switch as you are only using modules 1-4

A 2 position switch should also work. Set the end points from 0 to + 100 and see if it operates the CTI unit, if not, change the end points from 0 to - 100 and it should work.

Hope that makes sense and good luck

Ahh, ok i will try that tomorrow!

Thanks alot for your help Elliot! :D:

• No problem....

I'm logging off now... but will be back online tomorrow evening if you need help.

Let me know how it goes.

• I got everything to work i think, but when im going from my excavator (module 1) to my dumper (module 2) i need to shut the power all off on the excavator to get the dumper to move, the module lights up but no contact from radio, what could that be?

It kinda loses its function if you have to go to the excavator and switch off the main power to the excavator.

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von KalleSwe (28. Dezember 2011 um 17:49)

• Arrrg!!

Have been trying to get this thing to work all evening, im kinda tired of it right now! :wut01:
    Also when i was going to run the tracks on the excavator i could do it for about 5 seconds, then i lost the signal to the CTI Module on the excavator, i could run everything else but when i did use the tracks it lost signal very quick and i had to restart the module.

As i said in the last post, i cant get the module 2 to "bind" when i use the switch, only if i disconnect the excavators battery i can get the dumper to "bind".

Im lost....

• Sorry... no idea how to quote...everything is in German!

"I got everything to work i think, but when im going from my excavator
    (module 1) to my dumper (module 2) i need to shut the power all off on
    the excavator to get the dumper to move, the module lights up but no
    contact from radio, what could that be?

It kinda loses its function if you have to go to the excavator and switch off the main power to the excavator"

If I understand your problem, you cannot switch between models?

To switch between modules you need to do this.

You TX is in Excavator model menu and the CTI is active. Operate the switch that controls the CTI and move it 3 times... this should make the module number 1 go to sleep and the excavator will no longer receive a signal.

Next, change the menu on your radio to the Dumper model menu... flick the switch ( that controls the CTI channel 9 ) two times... this should activate the CTI unit in the Dumper... if you flick the switch once, the Excavator model would power up.. so be careful

Hope that helps you first query

• Arrrg!!

Have been trying to get this thing to work all evening, im kinda tired of it right now! :wut01:

Also when i was going to run the tracks on the excavator i could do it
    for about 5 seconds, then i lost the signal to the CTI Module on the
    excavator, i could run everything else but when i did use the tracks it
    lost signal very quick and i had to restart the module.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What type of ESC's are you using for the tracks and? Have you disabled the BEC circuits on one of them?

It could be that the track motors are drawing so much current that they drag the voltage too low on the BEC circuit therefore resetting the CTI module??

Try using the BEC power from you pump motor ESC and isolating the BEC circuits on both your track motor ESC....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As i said in the last post, i cant get the module 2 to "bind" when i use
    the switch, only if i disconnect the excavators battery i can get the
    dumper to "bind".

Hopefully my previous post helps, Are you using the same channel in your TX and RX on both model menus? The CTI module will listen the control channel all the time, so when it hears you flick the control channel x amount of times it will power up.

In the excavator menu, can you bind and unbind the CTI module? One flick should bind it and anything between 2 and 8 should unbind it..

Likewise in the Dumper, 2 flicks on the control channel should bind it and anything else should unbind it.

Tell me, in the Excavator, what number is the CTI control channel connected to on your RX

and in the Dumper, what number is the CTI control channel connected to on your RX

• Zitiern is quote Elliot, now i got to help you! :thumbup:

Yes i activate the excavator with one flick, then it powers up, then i flick it 2 times, it goes out and no signal, it seem to work there.

I will try again, but im sure i have to disconnect the excavators battery to get in contact with the dumper, sometimes it has worked, the dumper module lights up but i cant control the dumper with the radio.

I have the module one in chanel 8 on the excavator, and i have the module 2 in chanel 6 on the dumper, but they are assigned to the same switch, do i really have to use the same chanel number in both recivers??

I use a sabertooth 2x25 for the tracks, i havent removed the bec on it i think, have to check.

Thanks for your help Elliot! :D:
    Will try later today!

• Zitiern is quote Elliot, now i got to help you! :thumbup: Thank you.. I learnt something today!

Yes i activate the excavator with one flick, then it powers up, then i flick it 2 times, it goes out and no signal, it seem to work there. - Ok this is perfect and how it should work... but I guess you knew that 8)

I will try again, but im sure i have to disconnect the excavators battery to get in contact with the dumper, sometimes it has worked, the dumper module lights up but i cant control the dumper with the radio. - To control the dumper, I assume you are first selecting this in a new model memory in your TX, after which you need to flick the control channel ( 6 according to your email ) two times. This should activate the cti module and you should be able to drive the dumper. When you change models in your TX, do you need to cycle the power? I know some radios need this. So maybe try this instead. Unbind the Excavator, select the dumper model in the TX, turn off the power in the TX, turn it back on, the flick the control switch 2 times, this should activate the CTI in the Dumper and you should be able to drive it.??

I have the module one in chanel 8 on the excavator, and i have the module 2 in chanel 6 on the dumper, but they are assigned to the same switch, do i really have to use the same chanel number in both recivers?? - No, this should work perfectly. Just out of interest, can you power up the Dumper on its own, bind the CTI and the drive it? If so, then we are proving the CTI module works ok

I use a sabertooth 2x25 for the tracks, i havent removed the bec on it i think, have to check. - I've heard of these, but have no experience, however, can you try something for me please. Can you lift the model up in the air, so the tracks are free to run, then bind the model and try and operate the tracks, this will reduce the load and we can see if its voltage drop related?

Thanks for your help Elliot! :D:
    Will try later today!

• Your welcome! :)

Yes i first change the model to dumper in my radio, then flick the switch 2 times, but nothing happens, i have tryed to cycle the power on the radio as well and it has worked a few times but not anymore.

Yes i can select the dumper on its own, its only when the excavators reciver is on that i cant get the dumper to bind. But if i disconnect the excavator battery the dumper binds and i can drive it.

I can try to lift the excavator and run the tracks later today, it seems to be a voltage thing though, i remember i had this problem with my lights as well, when i did run the tracks the LED:s started to flicker, then i changed the part i use to switch on oand off and it was gone, its wierd.