brass soldering techniques

• Hello,

Im sorry to post in English,

i was wondering how you's solder small brass pieces together like the demolition sorting grapple from liebherr modelle.?

every time i try to solder various small pieces together i always end up melting all the previos soldered parts, and the whole part falls to pieces,

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

steven

• Hello steve,

at first, :welcom: to our community! :trinken:

You should fix the parts with a device or use embedding compound (you can get it by dental technicans) for small parts to solder your assembly. Or use a wet overlap to cool down the already soldered seams. In my oppinion a thorough planning is the best way to get good results. I hope it helps...

:sorry: for my bad english...

Gruß
    Alexander :hand:

Wir verlieren keine Freunde, sondern lernen, wer die richtigen sind...

• Hi Alexander,
    Thank you very much for ur reply, i will look into that compound, when you say wet overlap, do you mean cooling the already soldered parts with water?
    Also what tools do u use for soldering brass,?? ie what size of blow torch and do you use silver or normal solder? I also love ur R964 it is a great looking excavator, i too am in the middle of growing an MvO fleet, 954, and a 10x8 are in the workshop which i hope to make a ginaf cab for
    thanks again,

Steve

• when you say wet overlap, do you mean cooling the already soldered parts with water?

Hi Steve,

exactly. :Top: Simply a piece of wet cloth to cover the solvered seams.

I use normall solder like 60Sn40Pb solder paste and a blow torch like this.

:Danke1: for your praise! I hope you will also show us some pictures of your models.

Gruß

• Thank you Alexander, that is great advice, when you are soldering do you heat the brass area before you add the solder or do you add the solder as soon as you start heating,? I will be sure to post pictures of my models, iv also built various verachtert worktools but i will post pics in the correct section,

thanks

steve

• Hi Steve,

i always clean the bras, coat the seams with the solder paste and start to heat the area... if the temperature is righ, you can see it by the colour of the paste (it gets silver). Now you can add the solder. And only heat the area between the paste... the flame schould not hit the solder paste directly for longer times, otherwise the paste burnes and the result is terrible.

Cool, i´m looking forward to your report and pictures of your models in a own topic. :Top:

Gruß